zondag 27 april 2008

Baby quilt


This is ever so slightly after the fact, as my baby nephew was born at the beginning of this month. Luckily I was present for the birth, and got to meet him on his first day of life! He was very sweet and smaller than our cat.

I had, of course, planned to have my baby quilt finished by the time of his birth, but I had slightly underestimated how long it was going to take me to make it by hand. I had chosen a simple rail-fence design which my quilting book was billing as 'perfect if you need to make a quick gift for a special someone'. Hmmm, that is, if you have a sewing machine.

First of all, I had to choose the colours, which were to coordinate with the nursery's blue/green colour scheme. So off I went to the lovely fabric shop in Abingdon, and in combination with some fabrics I already owned (my fabric treasure trove is filling up!), this is what I had to work with:



By the time I arrived home, I had stitched long strips of three each together, and I was ready to cut them into squares, which I fortunately did without my ruler or knife slipping and messing up all my hard work. I experimented a bit with the lay-out:



I finally decided on the former. Despite working so hard I gave myself sewing RSI, I was forced to take the quilt back with me to do the actual quilting! Anyway, here is the 'finished' product:


I've sent it home and my mum is going to finish it for me and make it into a cushion cover, as I didn't know the exact size it had to be. So much work, but a nice result! I feel quite proud of it, and hope it will make a good breastfeeding cushion.

1 opmerking:

Berber zei

Al dat harde werk is het echt wel waard geweest... het is heel mooi geworden en zal prachtig staan in z'n kamertje!

XX