maandag 31 maart 2008

Transition

Just before I head off for just over a week to admire my sister's as yet unborn child, some updates on my allotment. Not that there is anything to show, but I have done ever so much work to it, and it want to show it off!

First of all, there is what's going on inside. This is a picture taken a few days ago of the sprout seedlings desperate to get out of their shared tray:



I was putting off the potting process, as my mum had warned me that ten sprout plants were just too many, and I couldn't bring myself to discard any. Eventually I worked up the courage, though, and eight sprout seedlings made the transition successfully. Here they are, together with some tomatoes:



I was a bit worried about the tomatoes, as I seem to have hacked off quite a bit of their tiny little roots in the potting process, but they appear happy enough. Here is another bunch "toughening up" in the spring breeze:


Onto the garden itself, then. Now, it's been looking pretty dull and bleak, but yesterday I did enliven it considerably with the erection of a wigwam for future beans:



See? Now at least there is an expectation that something will be happening at some point. That dark line on the right marks the position of the rainbow chard, which I sowed this morning. I've also sown sweet pea around the wigwam, while we're waiting for the beans.



I hope there will be at least a few bits of green peeping out of the clay when I return!

Geen opmerkingen: